Live Feed from UStream

Friday, April 10, 2015

Camera fixed; 3 eggs in nest box

Maintaining a blog consisting of live, wild animals (and complex electronics and computer connections) is really a challenge and I apologize that I seem to disappear at times.

With advice from Richard (www.birdhousespycam.com) my Hawkeye Nature Camera is functional again.  With owls in the box day and night, and not wanting to do anything to affect their natural behavior, I was left with working "outside the box".  The initial technical difficulty was obvious--a broken cable.  After 4 attempts to repair it (it consists of a bundle of three very fine telephone wires) I finally searched the entire length of the cable and located a second very subtle break only a few feet from the initial break--affecting only one of the small wires inside the sheath and  not at all obvious from the surface.  He suggested several causes--only one of which makes any sense--Squirrels!  It was up in the oak tree where the next box is located.

With the technical problem solved, I was able to record the video recorded last night, April 9, and contained in a separate post.  Enjoy as the female owl prepares for her evening break and flies to reveal 3 eggs (NOTE:  I had opened the box after she flew on April 7 and there were only 2 eggs).

Tomorrow I will address questions raised by several viewers who also have nest boxes but no camera inside.  What do you see and what does it mean?

No comments: